Thursday, February 16, 2012

what's on my mind: unpluggin...

One of my intentions for 2012 was to unplug more. I think so far I've done an okay job with it, but it's still something I struggle with. 

I've significantly cut down on the amount of time I spend on the computer during the day, especially during Morgan's waking hours. I try to limit the amount of time I'm on my laptop, ipad, or cell phone to when he is napping or in bed for the night because he deserves my full attention. 

I still struggle every day with balancing the benefits of modern technology with my desire to be more present with those I love and living more in the moment. So while I'm still obsessed with searching Dr. Google for information, oogling pretty pictures on Pinterest, and reading blogs for inspiration I think I've made some great strides so far and am getting a little closer to that simplified life I was talking about yesterday.


...


And just because putting it all out there is a good way to hold myself accountable, a quick run down of how I'm doing with my other intentions for 2012:

1. Keep a house cleaning schedule - Umm, yea this is probably the one I've been worst at. Most days I'm so exhausted that I'm just happy if the kitchens clean and the floor is free of raisins and cheerios.




2. Work out regularly - I finally joined a gym and my goal is to go a minimum of 3 days a week, but hopefully more. So far, I'm sticking to that. It feels good to work out, but it's also turned into a nice little slice of "me" time that I cherish.

3. Quit FacebookAlthough I originally intended to delete my Facebook account, I realized it was a really useful tool for keeping in contact with out of town friends and making plans with those I spend time with in real life. So, instead I have widdled my friends list down to next to nothing. I still feel compelled to check it several times a day, but with a lot less junk filling up my news feed, it is something that is no longer stressful and only takes a few moments to catch up. 



4. Be more intentional and purposeful in my relationships - I kind addressed this one above.




5. Unplug more. - See above.


6. Eat more healthy foods - I've kicked this intentions ass if I may say so myself! I wrote about my decision to switch to a vegan lifestyle here. I've given up all animal products and kicked my diet soda habit. Plus, I've lost 10 pounds in the process. 


7. Be more forgiving. - I continue to get better with this one. It feels so good to forgive someone that has hurt you {or simply pissed you off}. By holding a grudge, you're not hurting anyone but yourself. It feels a hell of a lot better to spread the love than to hold onto things. 




Anyone else having a hard time believing February is halfway over? 2012 is already moving at lightening speed...
xoxo,
Ashley

1 comment:

Denazh said...

Well, it's interesting because unplugging is an expression we use and in fact, I find that unplugging is in fact for many people, including me, an uncomfortable state