Friday, February 17, 2012

donuts

For Valentine's day Frank got me a Babycakes Donut Maker. This is proof that A. He listens to me when I ramble on about such things as how cool it would be to make my own vegan donuts and B. He really likes donuts.

Whatever the motivation behind the gift, I was beyond thrilled to be on the receiving end of my own tiny little yellow donut maker. Isn't she pretty? 



Well, I caught up on my sleep last night after a week of awful, awful sleep {Frank let me sleep in...awww} and I woke up rarin' to go try out my new donut maker. Prior searches of Pinterest through out the week yielded this promising recipe

Well folks, the verdict is in and they are deee-licious! They aren't quite like store bought/bakery donuts, so this might not be THE recipe, but they were certainly a yummy treat and an excellent way to start the weekend. 



As I was finishing up the batch, Frank brought Morgan to me to kiss before he laid him down for his nap. With my hands sticky with sweet donut glaze and sprinkles, I kissed him on the cheek and promised to save one for him when he woke up from his nap. Oh dear, I fear that promise might prove to be a hard one to keep...



xoxo,
Ashley

p.s. I tweaked the recipe linked above a little bit. I used whole wheat flour, light vanilla soy milk, and a TBSP of applesauce instead of the egg replacer. I also melted some semi-sweet chocolate chips for the chocolate covered ones.

No comments: