Monday, February 13, 2012

DIY ruler growth chart



Did your family have a doorway or wall growing up that you'd stand up against every so often and mark your height off with a pencil to keep track of your growth? I didn't, but I love the idea.

I love the idea of having those little pencil marks to look at for years to come...little notches penciled in for each kid and maybe even grand kids someday. It's such a sweet idea. But, if you're like our family and haven't settled into the home you plan to raise your family in yet, you need something a little more portable. 

Thus, the ruler growth chart was born. Besides the staining of the wood {which I guess is optional depending on the color you're going for} this is a pretty easy and quick project. You wouldn't think that though seeing as how it took me months to complete it. I stained the wood out on the balcony back when it was still semi warm out, but then lost the motivation to finish it. I finally decided to tackle it today and it was so quick and easy that I have no idea why I've been putting it off for months.




So, if you want a step by step tutorial, visit this blog. But, if you're looking for the cliff notes, read on:

-Buy a 1in x 8in x 6in board. I bought mine at Menards.

-Stain it your desired color. I used walnut.

-Let stain fully dry and cure {if you're hard core like me, you can drag this step out for months, but I'll understand if you choose not to}.

-Using a sharpie and ruler, make one inch marks along the length of the board. I alternated between making my marks 1 inch and 2 inches long.
-Add your numbers. I used the self adhesive numbers pictured below. I got them at Walmart and they are meant for mailboxes.



...



You like it? 
I'm kind of in love with it. 
I mean, I can't stop staring at it. 

This is going to be it's home,
now I just have to figure out how I'm going to hang it 
so the tornado {Morgan} doesn't knock it down.



xoxo,
Ashley

No comments: