Tuesday, December 6, 2011

12 Days of Christmas

Christmas Traditions. Tradition really is what gives Christmas it's magic, isn't it? One of my favorite memories from the Christmases of my childhood is digging out our copy of The Polar Express every year with the Christmas decorations.

So as I collected ideas for starting our own Christmas family traditions {on Pinterest, of course}, I was thrilled to find this idea for a Christmas book advent calendar. 



I love it because I can include part of the tradition from my childhood into a new tradition for my little family {Plus, it was a good excuse to spend $20 on our very own copy of The Polar Express}.

And another great thing is that it is a tradition that you can start with the littlest of littles, because what baby/child doesn't enjoy a good book with pretty pictures? I know mine is obsessed with them.



So when I came upon this idea of a Christmas book advent "calendar", I ran with it. Unfortunately, if you are just starting out, buying 25 Christmas books can get pricey. I didn't want to spend that much on new Christmas books when there was also Christmas shopping to be done. So instead, I decided to do the 12 days of Christmas this year.

Starting 12 days before Christmas, we will unwrap a new Christmas book to read each night before bed.

I gift wrapped them in pretty foil Santa paper and numbered them with stamped shipping tags. I found the cute and festive green/red basket to house them in under the tree at Goodwill. 



We've also picked up a couple more Christmas books since I wrapped these so we've been enjoying reading those until the countdown hits 12 and we can start unwrapping our Christmas literary surprises! :)

The plan is to stock up for next year during after Christmas sales {squeeee, I'm already pumped for those sales} so that we can do the full 25 day advent calendar next year and for many years to come.

hohoho,
Ashley

1 comment:

Brianna said...

Such a great idea! I think we may just have to make this a tradition as well! Seems so sweet! :)