Sunday, August 14, 2011

cookin' with Pioneer Woman

I decided to make good on my self imposed pinterest challenge {read more about that here} and cooked up not one, but two recipes pinned from Pioneer Woman

 Oh yea, I'm an over achiever. I won't brag about it though.

What did I make, you ask?

Some good ole' fashioned, artery clogging, southern comfort food.

Are you salivating yet? 

You can find the full recipe along with witty commentary here at her site, but I'll share with you an abbreviated version with not as pretty pictures below, if you so desire .
{I know I make it sound sooo appealing}

....

First things first, Ingredients {you will not find chicken on the list. just stop looking now.}

3 pounds cube steak
1.5 cups milk, and additional 2 cups for the gravy
2 whole large eggs
3 cups All-Purpose flour
Seasoned salt {aka Lawry's}
1/4 tsp Cayenne {I didn't have any, I skipped it}
Lots of black pepper
Canola oil for frying
Salt and pepper for gravy

So you start out with your meat:


Then two separate shallow dishes. One with your flour, pepper, and Lawry's. One with your milk and eggs. Mix that dry mix, real good. And whisk the milk and eggs together. I like to use my good whisk, the one with 4 tines. But you can use just any ole' thing... that is if you're not completely committed to the recipe.



Then you dredge that meat first through the milk mixture then through the flour mixture. And repeat.


Stack it all up and set aside.


Then plop it in that pan of bubbly oil.


She says to cook for 2.5 minutes each side. Her steak must have been a LOT thinner than mine because it took at least twice that time each side, if not longer. Play it by ear, my lovelies.

While I was working on the meat, I was also simultaneously making my mashed potatoes. 
Ingredients:
5 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced
8 oz cream cheese
3/4 cups butter {the real kind, this isn't diet food, people}
1/2 cup half and half {score bonus points and use heavy cream, I did}
1/2 tsp Lawry's
1/2 tsp black pepper

Boil your potatoes. {I need a bigger pot}.


Drain and mash them. Then add your cream cheese and butter. Mash again.


Then add your salt and pepper. Mash again.


Add a little green beans. {We're health conscious around here, mmmkay??} And call it supper!


Ooops I almost forgot the gravy. Shame, shame.

Reserve 1/4 cup of the grease from your meat. Heat it back up in the skillet. Add 1/3 cup flour and mix to form a paste. Slowly add 2 cups milk and stir until it thickens. Season with salt and pepper. Lots. Smother your potatoes and meat in it. 

Feel the urge to go for a jog yet? Me either. 

Top it off with this other Pioneer Woman recipe for the best chocolate sheet cake ever. I made it for a cook out and it went over real well. Like we were eating it with forks out of the pan well.

Enjoy
<3 Ashley

No comments: