Friday, November 4, 2011

Thrifty Find: Re-upholstered Chair

So we made our weekly trip to Goodwill today. It's become a fun little weekly ritual for Frank, Morgan, and I. I love that Frank loves thrifting too, and can't wait for my little Morgan to be just as pumped for the trips one of these days too. 

I've been trying to make a point of buying things that need a little more work. I love seeing cool before and afters of furniture, but I'm always a little too timid to take the risk myself. It's a lot easier to buy a $2 candlestick with potential, than say a $20 piece of furniture. 




Well, today I found this $3.99 chair with a less than desirable cushion. I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to try to re-upholster a piece of furniture without having to "splurge" {yes 20 bucks is a splurge in thrifting world}. So I scooped it right up and we headed to Walmart to get the tools for re-upholster my new chair, because we had not a one. 

- Staple gun and staples
- Fabric
- Foam padding




First things first, I unscrewed the seat from the bottom of the chair.  Then I pried the nails off of the bottom with my screwdriver.  Next, I scrapped the old fabric and padding, replacing it with new padding, cut to size.  Then, I stapled my new fabric around the seat {kind of like a present}.  Lastly, I screwed the seat back onto the bottom of the chair. 



Voila! That's it! It was super easy {like less than a half hour easy}. Now I'm excited to tackle my next big project!


xoxo,
Ashley

No comments: