Monday, October 1, 2012

a weekend, just the two of us

This weekend was my weekend off of work.
It was a long weekend. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday off.
Sounds perfect right? So why did I dread it?
Well it turns out it was perfect, but it took me until Monday morning to realize just how perfect it was. 

This weekend also happened to be the weekend that my mom was away in Indiana visiting family, any and all friends were busy with plans, and the weekend that my husband decided to sign up for overtime {i.e. 16 hour days}, because, in his words: "Christmas is coming." {ok, now that's super sweet...and only made me feel more guilty about dreading it}. 

I love hanging out with Morgan and finding fun things to keep us occupied, but I like to have some adult company to tag along on our adventures too. It may make me sound like a bad mom to some, but I suspect there are many, many moms out there who would feel the same way when faced with three days of just you and your 2 year old, from sun up to sun down. 

Friday we went to Appleton for lunch and some shopping, just the two of us. It was fun, but exhausting. 





Saturday Frank was supposed to only work his usual 6am-2pm, so we filled up our morning with a short road trip to the Rippin' Good Cookie Outlet in Ripon {yummm} and then returned home for a nap and lunch, and started counting down the hours until Daddy would be home from work. At 1pm the phone rang and I just knew who it was and what it was before I even looked at it. It was Frank calling to say he got forced overtime that day. There may have been some tears shed, ok no tears, but I'm pretty sure I whined a little "But, we've been looking forward to you coming home alllll daaaaay". 


But, some time after that phone call we began to fall into a groove. I decided to stop thinking about the hours upon hours I felt the need to fill to keep me and my toddler from dying of boredom, and just enjoyed the freedom of all that time to do whatever we wanted. 


So we read books,
went for walks,
went out for ice cream,
hit up Goodwill,
tackled the mountain {and I do mean mountain} of laundry,
took naps {yep, mom took advantage of nap time too},
worked out together to prenatal workout videos on youtube,
went over to Grandpa's for dinner,
and hung out on the balcony with the country music blaring on our red kitchen radio. 







It was an absolutely perfect weekend that now leaves me dreading returning to work this afternoon. 
Isn't life ironic?



xoxo,
Ashley

No comments: